Halaman Terpenting!!!


Friday, November 8, 2019

Interview With Andressa Nugraha

The first time I saw Andressa ever is on the first series of Gawking Geek of Geekmongers Records' gig series. He just sat down and look like a drunken person with silence. I was like kinda having a nerve for this guy though in fact this guy is a total douchebag as several meeting held. He was on mohawk and probably the hairstyle has moved his mood @#!$ Heaven knows! We just had a chit chat about his drawing and musical carreer. We all know that he just started his own garrage maniac alterego named The Battlebeats. So yes just read em below!


01. Hey! Who the hell is Andresa??
Andresa is nobody. An extraordinary nobody. A nobody that you'd love the most.

02. Where's your mohawk going??
My mohawk era is done. I used to think if I had one, I would look as cool as Jack Dalrymple when he was still in One Man Army, Last Word Spoken era, but nah, instead of looking good and cool, I looked more like a street punk hobo. I won't have it anymore. Never.

03. Are you kinda practitioner musician or had a music class background back in the days??
I'm a practitioner musician from the beginning. When I first started to learn guitar, decided to pursue music and become a 'pro musician' in the future like my music hero at that time, the one who inspires me to pick a guitar, you know, Matthew Bellamy of Muse, I taught myself some basic guitar scale, tab, shit and stuff, because I used to think if I wanna be a real musician, I needed to learn all that stuff but I ended up frustrated, I almost gave up, I realize I wasn't that "gifted". Then I started looking for another trio (I was too obsessed with three piece band), listening to Green Day, and at that time, I knew it, to write good songs doesn't require some sort of high guitar playing skill. So I focused on improving my songwriting skill since then.

04. Elaborate me about how much you hate Neckdeep?? Do they hate you as well??
I remember people kept talking about them when I heard they came here years ago. I was curious, so I searched them on Youtube, "In Bloom" was on the top search. Just looking at the thumbnail, I already know this band SUCKS. And yup, I can't even finish listening to the song. They should be coined as "a boyband with instruments" instead of pop punk.

05. What's your parent say about your Ramones haircut??
My mother keep telling to cut my hair, she said that I look like Idoy from one of Indonesia's soap opera, Dunia Terbalik. *smh*

06. Would you tell me a bit about your artwork carreer?? Since when you started on??
I learned myself to draw since I was like 4-5-6, I had a dream of being a comic book artist like my late maternal grandfather who was a Wayang comic artist. But I stopped pursuing that route after knowing my parents didn't really show me some support.

07. Andresa, is it true that you drained the tears off as Bondu saying goodbye on Drinking Boys Girl Choir Indonesia first tour?? (I bet this is a fucking sweet scene)
I was not crying when he said goodbye. I cried when they couldn't play in Bandung because of some stupid police came and threaten us to call the imigration if we insisted to let them play. Well, my main reason to cry is that I put my ONLY money for that gig but it didn't end well as I expected.

08. Have your artwork ever been ripped off??
I don't know, who cares? If there's one, I think they're just a bunch of idiot. If you want to rip some art, go ripping off Rockin' Jelly Bean.

09. Tell me about how you get sign up as a member of Saturday Night Karaoke??
When SNK decided to called it quit, I kept whispering to crying Prabu in their last gig: "if you ever need a bass player, just call me". Well, one day, he indeed asking me to play music with him, it's a power pop band called The Shoptalks, we released a 3 tracks demo, and 1 single digitally within months. But he thought the band didn't have "the energy" so he reformed SNK and asked me to join as their bass player.

10. You can do an artwork, but why not any of your music project's cover not featuring any of your artwork?? 
I'm just tired of looking at my name all the time on the sleeve. 

11. Why dont you do your talent (artworking) into a more professional level?? Or is there any of thoughts doing so??
I already considered my art career as a semi-professional job. I've done not-so-many cover artworks for band especially band from overseas. They respect it by willing to pay me more money than people from my own country who sometimes want to get it for free. Goddamnit, they think I buy all my art supplies with poops and leaves?!

12. Tell me a bit about your current music project, The Battlebeats??
The Battlebeats is my spontaneous raw stripped garage punk project that was heavily influenced by 90's budget rock. It was all started when I challenged myself to produce basic-structured songs within 5 days prior to recording day with just 300K Rupiah, a guitar, a 15-watt amp, snare-floor-tambourine drums set, 7 songs recorded within hours. Speaking of the band name, I already have "The Battlebeats" name from my rock 'n' roll hero, Fifi of Teengenerate/Firestater a long time ago through Instagram DM. I always wanted to form a garage punk since 2012/2013 after discovering Teengenerate's "Get Me Back" through Jack Dalrymple facebook post, I fell in love with them immediately but I wasn't capable of doing it at the time because the genre is still new to me. So I keep exploring, exploring and exploring until I get the confidence. Ta-da, 7 years later, The Battlebeats is born. My main band.

13. What happens to Down The Block?? Why you guys get ended??
After I found a garage punk music, my focus on DTB was quite distracted. Garage punk music really affected my songwriting and guitar playing style, and not long after that, I decided to disband it. The drummer begging me to keep the band on track, so yeah, I gave the band second chance, now the music has more garage influences. After putting some efforts for the band, like writing songs for an album. Our bass player said that he wasn't really into being a musician, he just wanted to focus on finishing his college degree which I don't have a problem with it, live being a normal person who's stuck in a 9-5 job, so he quits, in the middle of schedule of gig. Honestly, I'm super mad at that time, if only I knew that it's gonna be this way, I wouldn't give this band a second chance, I'd rather start another band. So I ignored and disbanded it for the second and last time. And there's one funny thing, not long after the band call it quits, the drummer, turns into a religion-maniac hijrah boy. Can you imagine if the band is still going on, I have to put so much effort for it only to see these guys going nowhere out of this project?!

14. Any punk rock pal would you cry on, except Bondu, when they 'leave' you from this world??
Jack Dalrymple, Sugiyama Brothers aka Fifi & Fink of Teengenerate, I want these people to stay alive until the end of time.

15. Last words you would like to say??
Thank you for your time, sorry for my bad english, and FUCK YOU



No comments: